Windstorms can result in downed trees and debris on our roadways, downed stop and yield signs, traffic signal failures, power outages and downed power lines.

Preparing for a windstorm

You can prepare yourself, your family and your workplace for windstorms and power outages by putting together an emergency kit, creating an emergency plan, stocking food that can be consumed during an outages, etc. Learn more on the Emergency Preparedness page.

Downed trees and debris

Pierce County road crews respond during a windstorm to remove downed, leaning or damaged trees and debris along county roads. Priority is given to major arterials and collectors, lifeline emergency routes, Pierce Transit and school bus snow routes, and access roads to highways, freeways, and park and ride lots.

If you see a downed tree or debris blocking traffic or sidewalks, submit a Request for Action Form or call (253) 798-6000.

Downed signs and traffic signal outages

Call (253) 798-8000 to report a sign or traffic signal concern. 

We replace missing or downed stop and yield signs 24 hours a day. Other types of signs, such as speed limit or street name signs, are replaced during regular business hours.

If a traffic signal is out, traffic should treat the intersection as a four-way stop.

Power outages and downed power lines

If there is a power outage at your home or business, contact your local energy utility or visit their website for more information. Some utilities also include updates on social media sites such as Facebook and Twitter.

If you see a downed power line, you should stay away from it and report it to your energy utility or call 911. Please be aware that even downed lines can be energized, and generators can re-energize lines if they are plugged into a power source. For more information on generator safety, visit the Puget Sound Energy Safety page.

Handling yard waste

Residents can help reduce flooding on county roads by picking up yard waste and leaves on their properties and making sure storm drains near their properties are free of leaves.

A list of local facilities that accept yard waste and leaves, often free-of-charge, can be found on the Yard Waste page.

Following a storm, visit the WinterWise page to find out what to do with storm debris on your property.
Road Alerts Logo With Blue Exclamation Mark Linkingto Pierce County Emergency Map Road Information
Contact Us
Send a message arrow
Phone: (253) 798-6000
7:30 a.m.–4:00 p.m.
4812 196th St. E
Spanaway, WA 98387