Skip to Main Content
Wildfire Smoke Alert for the Puget Sound Region
How Do I...
Planning & Public Works
Recycle & Reduce Waste
Fluorescent Lights—Bulbs and Tubes
Return to recycling menu
Recycle mercury-containing lights at no charge by dropping them off at authorized collection sites
Broken bulb? Clean it up safely
Fluorescent bulbs contain mercury, a toxin that is dangerous if inhaled. Follow these instructions to safely clean up a broken bulb and limit your exposure to mercury.
Avoid breathing vapors or touching broken materials. Do not vacuum or sweep up the debris.
Open windows to vent vapors and leave the area for 15 minutes.
Find a container to put the broken pieces into. You'll need to be able to seal it up afterwards.
Scoop up large pieces with paper. Pick up small pieces and powder with tape.
Wipe the area with a damp paper towel.
Wash your hands.
Take the sealed container to a LightRecycle Washington drop-off site.
Do not throw in the trash.
Household Hazardous Waste
What's For Dinner?
Earth Matters Newsletter
Recycling Program Changes
Advanced Recycling Info
Why Can't I Recycle...?
Curbside Recycling & Garbage Service
Library (Plans & Docs)
Solid Waste Advisory Committee (SWAC)
Waste Trends Analysis
Slideshow Left Arrow
Slideshow Right Arrow