Parks Reopening Guidelines
Pierce County parks are open for public use with protocols and guidelines to keep the public safe. Parks outdoor spaces will be open from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. daily May through June, with anticipated extended hours in July. Boat launches operate 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Additional protocols have been created to promote respectful use and manage site capacity including limiting travel, shortened stays, and social distancing measures. While some services will be restored in Phase 2, recreation centers, playgrounds, picnic shelters and fields at athletic complexes will remain closed until Phase 3.
These services align with Governor Jay Inslee’s Safe Start Plan, authorizing increased access to public lands for outdoor recreational outings.
Crowded parks may result in future closures, so Pierce County is asking that everyone work together and abide by the below guidelines for safe and respectful park, open space and trail use.
Guidelines for Staying Safe While Enjoying the Outdoors
- Recreate within your home county and home community.
- Use the park closest to your home. If you can walk there, please do so.
- Understand that some people don’t have the ability to walk to their local park and must drive, so leave parking stalls for them.
- If you drive to a park/trailhead and parking is not available, then the site is at capacity. Do not park in unauthorized areas or in neighborhoods. Come back later.
- Keep your visit to two hours or less and go no more than twice a week to make sure there is room for everyone.
- Try to avoid peak hours of the day and instead consider going when it’s not as sunny.
- Public restrooms in the parks may not be open or well stocked at all locations.
- Stay home if you are sick or at high risk.
- Stay six feet away from anyone who doesn’t live with you.
- Avoid contact with items that don’t belong to you.
- Wear a mask if you are going to be around others.
- Bring supplies with you to wash and sanitize regularly.
- Stay off play structures and out of picnic shelters.
- Only use sport courts with your own family and your own play equipment; fields at athletic complexes will remain closed.
- Only one family or household group per picnic table. Please bring a table covering to use and take it with you when you leave.
- Stay in your family or household group and if you are using lawn space, make sure it is at least 25 feet from others who are doing the same.
- Follow one-way directional arrows and looping (where indicated).
- If two-way use occurs, provide proper distancing upon passage. Do not pass if a distance of six feet cannot be maintained.
|Facility||Restroom Access beginning June 5|
|Chambers Creek Regional Park||Single restroom at North Meadow; Multi-stall restroom at Central Meadow|
|Foothills Trail||Single restroom at the East Puyallup and McMillin trailheads|
Single standard portable restroom at the Crocker turnout and South Prairie trailhead
|North Lake Tapps Park||Multi-stall restroom at the West and Central Peninsulas (map)|
|Spanaway Park||Parking Lot A – 1 ADA portable restroom|
Parking Lot B – 1 Standard portable restroom
Parking Lot C – 1 ADA portable restroom and 1 Standard portable restroom
Parking Lot D – 1 Standard portable restroom
Parking Lot E – 1 ADA portable restroom
|Riverside Park||Single standard portable restroom at park entrance|
|Facility||Restroom Access beginning June 8|
|Ashford Park||Multi-stall restroom at the lower section of the park near the playground|
|Frontier Park||Single restroom at the south end of the park near the playground|
|Meridian Habitat Park||Multi-stall restroom at the west end of the parking lot|
|South Hill Community Park||Single restroom at south end of the park near the playground|
Currently Closed Facilities:
- The ESB (Environmental Services Building, restrooms closed)
- Dawson Playfield (restrooms closed)
- Gonyea Playfield (restrooms closed)
- Lakewood Community Center (restrooms closed)
- Heritage Recreation Center (restrooms closed)
- Sprinker Recreation Center (building & outside complex)
- All buildings at Frontier Park and Meridian Habitat Park are closed
- All playgrounds and picnic shelters are closed